November 6, 2012

The Lost Key



See that key? It's cute isn't it? So cute and small and.....easily lost.....

Let me start by telling you about last spring. My grandma wasn't doing well and she had just been told by the doctors that this was the end. I went to visit her that night to sit with her and watch some Wheel of Fortune with her probably for the last time. (oh dear, I didn't mean to get emotional but I'm there) While we sat she asked to see pictures of what furniture I was working on. She was so sweet and supportive and excited for me. She then told me that she wanted me to have her antique secretary desk. She'd always wanted to have it refinished and never got around to it so now she told me to paint it how I like and sell it. I thanked her profusely but told her I was NOT selling it. I promised her I would paint it and give it to my little sister. She and her husband were closing on a new house very soon. That was the last conversation I had with my grandma.

As you can imagine this secretary desk now has a very special place in my heart. 

I've been waiting and waiting to get it done for my sister while we waited for the house to close and then to pick out a color and then for my life to settle down a bit. And thank goodness the time has finally come! I bought the paint last week and excitedly brought the desk into my office to get started. I looked on my desk for the key....I looked on my bulletin board for the key.....I looked in every drawer in my office for the key....

It was lost.

I thought, "I will find it. I'm sure I put it somewhere very safe..." Days went by, no key. I was getting nervous. Very nervous. And I didn't dare tell my little sis who knew I had already gotten the paint but mysteriously wasn't telling her how it was going!! 

We skyped for her birthday last night. I almost told her a number of times...but kept biting my tongue.

This morning while drinking some milk at the counter I looked up and saw my kitchen cabinet. The one with the bowl in it where I put my extra car keys and house keys. I thought, "Maybe?!?" Sure enough. It was there. Such a safe place. Such a Duh! place. Relief washed over me, then excitement that I could finally start on my grandma's desk :)

And no, I never told my sister. So I expect to get a call from her about 1o minutes after I post this ;)



I promise to keep it right here from now on, Sarah!!!



4 comments:

  1. Phew, glad you found it. BUT, after reading that I now have to leave for work with red eyes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cute that you were afraid to tell me! You have me crying and remembering the last conversation I had with her too. When we got into the room she asked us why we didn't bring Penny with! I laughed because I think she really would have liked her there but Penny is FAR from a therapy dog and the hospital would never let her in. We sat and talked about the house, she asked to see pictures. When we left I hugged and kissed her and told her I loved her. She looked at me and said "I love you too, I'm so proud of you." I couldn't ask for a better last conversation. Now my keyboard is all wet with tears, but I'm happy that you made me remember :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :) We were blessed to be able to say our final goodbyes to her :) And one day we'll get to see her AND Gramps again :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know your grandma, obviously. But, it's a vvery sweet story. And, now that key has a memory all unto itself for you and your sister. The prodigal key - he was lost and now is found.

    It will sound strange...but I wore a pearl charm and a vintage handcuff key as a necklace on my wedding day. The handcuff key was from my dad - he was a policeman for 33 years. And, ironically, the key had been lost for many years. It was a keepsake and my Mom couldn't find it anywhere. Both of my parents passed away before me wedding. When I found the key tucked safely away in some of my mom's belongings, I knew it had found a special place in my heart, too.

    ~ Dana

    ReplyDelete