December 2, 2011

An Alternative to a Wreath

I love wreaths. Especially when I've made it myself. After adorning the front of my house with three burlap wreaths the other week I put my Christmas berry wreath up on the door. All of the sudden my house looked like it was covered in circles. Is was definitely off. 

Then I remembered a picture I had pinned on Pinterest some time ago.


I wasn't a big fan of the color ribbon used, so since it's turning into a burlap Christmas around here I thought I might as well keep going with it! :)

Spoiler Alert:
Here's how mine turned out!


It looks much better and breaks up the other three circles hanging on the house.

So here's what I started with:

Burlap cut into strips
Twine
Cinnamon pinecones from Hobby Lobby
Big jingle bells from Hobby Lobby
Hot glue gun



I thought I'd change mine up even more and add a nice jingle to my door with the bells. But after trying it out they just didn't look right or lay right on the door. Oh well!

I glued the burlap onto the top of each pinecone and laid them out on the floor.





This was before I realized that the bells weren't working:)

Once I had a nice bushel of pinecones going I took them to the door to see if I should use more or less. 11 ended up being the perfect amount.

I laid the burlap strips on top of each other nicely in a pile then took it to the door and cut them to about the length I wanted.

I had a Command hook already on my door that I wanted to reuse so I folded over the burlap strips and just pushed the hook into the gaps in the burlap.


Then I tied some twine around it into a bow!


And there you have it! It only took an hour or two. I may have been interrupted a few times by a little boy and little girl though ;)

You'll have to excuse the color of the door. It's actually just primed, we had a new door installed a few weeks ago and we ordered it unfinished to save some cash. Unfortunately it won't be warm enough to paint it until next spring :( But I'm just SUPER happy to have that old green monster from 1950 finally gone. We had no choice but to buy a new one when it stopped closing/locking!! Can you say safety hazard?!

Here it is with some more afters for you!



















Linked up to:
Too Much Time On My Hands
Dittle Dattle
The Shabby Nest
Craft-O-Maniac
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Shady Porch
Domesblissity
Thrifty Decor Chick

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

                                                      Cooking At CafĂ© D


12 comments:

  1. Doing the exact same thing for my daughter's rustic barn wedding on the 30th! So glad to see how it will look as I've not started doing them yet :) The garlands will hang on the ends of the pews. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, from your newest follower :)

    I really like this idea - I'll be doing it this weekend, I think! And, I just pinned YOURS on Pinterest.

    If would love it if you would share this - or any other of your amazing posts - with us at our Friday FREE-FOR-ALL Linky Party. (It's still open.) http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/12/friday-free-for-all-linky-party-120211.html

    All the best,
    ~ Dana at Cooking at Cafe D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pinecones, bells and tons of burlap in my craft room right now! I am totally whipping one of these up:)Thanks so much for linking up to my first link party and helping to make it such a big success!
    Kim @ Too Much Time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how it turned out! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! So simple... it could stay up all winter! In fact, I'm pinning this so that I can make it in January! I'm a new follower! I hope you'll follow me back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, I'd love to!! Your ornament wreath is so colorful and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it...and doing it too!!...I've also had it pinned...lol...thx for the reminder...enjoy...Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rustic burlap with the natural pine cones! Amazing how these simple elements can bring such pretty elegance to your door! Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this. Just gave you a shout out!

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/09/fall-inspiration.html

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this post is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of
    things, so I am going to convey her.

    My weblog; height to waist ratio

    ReplyDelete